top of page

SC Governor Updates on Wildfires

SC Governor updates on Table Rock fires

  • The Table Rock wildfires have burned more than 8,679 acres and are being fueled by dry conditions and high winds.

  • More than 500 firefighters are battling the blaze, and evacuations are in effect for parts of Greenville and Pickens counties.

  • South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster has issued a statewide burn ban and secured federal aid to help fight the fires.

  • The South Carolina Forestry Commission warns that wildfire danger remains high, and this could be a long fire season.

  • No injuries or damage to homes have been reported, but residents are urged to heed evacuation orders and stay informed.

South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster joined more than a dozen state and local officials Friday to give updates on the Table Rock Complex fires.



"You've seen the movie 'The Perfect Storm'. Well, this might be the perfect fire," McMaster said about the converged fires during a media availability near Table Rock State Park in Pickens County.

The Table Rock wildfires grew significantly Thursday, estimated to have burned more than 8,679 acres and growing on the northern and western sides of the blaze. The Persimmon Ridge fire also spread but not as fast and covering about 2,000 acres. According to the South Carolina Forestry Commission, most of the additional acreage resulted from burnouts that crews could conduct between existing firebreaks and the active fire. 


The governor reminded that the state remains under a burn ban and violators will be prosecuted. “People need to be careful and don't do these things," McMaster said. Pickens County officials suspect four teens were negligent and started the Table Rock blaze on March 22. The burn ban was issued a day earlier.

About 545 firefighters are battling the Table Rock and Persimmon Ridge blazes. Crews are concerned about weather conditions into Saturday, as increased fire activity is expected. Humidity is expected to fall to 23%, and wind gusts could reach nearly 30 mph.


Scott Phillips, South Carolina Forestry Commission director, said his agency has responded to more than 373 wildfires since the beginning of March. Typically, he said, April tends to be the biggest month for wildfires in the state. "We don't see significant condition changes that would decrease the wildfire dangers moving into April or into May. This is going to be a long season for us."

Crews will focus on the northern and eastern portions of the Table Rock fire. Homes are to the east of the blaze and the North Carolina state border is to the north.


"The Forest Commission's top priorities are our number one, always to protect the lives of our citizens and our first responders. Number two is to protect the homes of our citizens. Number three, to suppress the wildfires," Phillips said.

The U.S. Forest Service listed the Table Rock Complex fires as the top resource priority in the southeast, according to the commission.


Earlier in the week, McMaster secured a Federal Emergency Management Agency fire management assistance grant to support the firefighting efforts. The grant approval makes South Carolina eligible for 75 percent reimbursement from the federal government for the costs of battling fires. The funds will help cover expenses for personnel, equipment, and firefighting operations, including air tankers, bulldozers, and additional fire crews, according to McMaster's office. 


Greenville County Emergency Management reported that evacuations continue for parts of Greenville and Pickens counties, specifically for Oil Camp Creek Road residents, east to River Falls Road, south to Highway 11, and west to West Gate Road. 

More than 1,400 structures have been evacuated so far. There have been no damages to homes or deaths. Marrietta First Baptist Church is the designated shelter for the fires. At this time, only 22 people occupy it.

South Carolina Emergency Management Services Director Kim Stenson advised people who have evacuated to stay tuned for information.


"If you have evacuated, it's very important that you do not return home until local authorities let you know that it's safe to do so,” he said.









bottom of page